Pages

Read and Review

I am always looking for new books to read and the best finds often come from recommendations so if you have a book you would like to see reviewed please send me an email at bookchaos.blogspot@hotmail.com

Friday, August 12, 2011

Conch Shell

I have had conch shells on my mind for the last few days and they have even been appearing in my dreams. My Nonna (Italian for grandmother) used to have one in her bathroom and I remember putting it up to my ear to hear the "sea" but until I started reading Lord of the Flies I hadn't really given them a second thought. The conch shell has played quite a large part in the first four chapters of the novel. So far it has been used to call the children to meeting and gives its holder the ability to speak to the group at large, acting as a symbol of order and even democracy. It will be interesting to see its role in the rest of the novel.


No comments:

Post a Comment